Saturday, May 30, 2009
The Peoria Journal Star [IL] - 16 March 1997
CANTON -- Shirley J. Davis, 73, of Las Vegas, formerly of Canton, died at 4:58 a.m. Thursday, March 13, 1997 at her residence.
Born Nov. 11, 1923, in Canton to William and Elizabeth Rodgers Baxter, she married Earl A. Davis on May 18, 1947, in Canton. He survives.
Also surviving are one stepson, Charles of Peoria; one stepdaughter, Charlene Rusterholz of Peoria; one brother, Neil Baxter of Lewistown; two sisters, Maxine Matayo of Canton and Ruth McKinney of Lewistown; three step-grandchildren; and four step-great-grandchildren. Four brothers and six sisters preceded her in death.
Graveside services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Parkview Cemetery in Peoria. Visitation will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Davison-Fulton Woodland Chapel.
Memorials may be made to South Side Mission or to the Salvation Army.
The Peoria Journal Star [IL] - 11 January 2001
PEORIA -- Earl A. Davis, 83, of 3047 Comitan Lane, Las Vegas, Nev., formerly of Peoria, died at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 6, 2001, at Life Care Center in Las Vegas.
Born Dec. 10, 1917, in Peoria to Charles A. and Pearl Simpson Davis, he married Dorothy Davis. He later married Shirley J. Baxter on May 18, 1947, in Canton. She died March 13, 1997 in Las Vegas. He was also preceded in death by two brothers and four infant grandchildren.
Surviving are Susan Lee of Las Vegas, with whom he made his home; one son, Charles (and Sue) of Peoria; one daughter, Charlene (and Rusty) Rusterholz of Peoria; three grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; two brothers, Leslie (and Evelyn) and Robert, both of Peoria; and two sisters, Ruth (and Bill) Van Etten of Peoria and Alma Simpson of Grass Valley, Calif.
He was a World War II Army veteran.
He owned and operated several grocery stores in California.
Services will be at noon Saturday at Davison-Fulton Woodland Chapel, where visitation will be two hours before services. The Rev. Gene Mace will officiate. Burial will be in Parkview Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society.
The Peoria Journal Star [IL] - 23 December 1997
LEWISTOWN -- Ruth E. McKinney, 87, of 175 Sycamore Drive, formerly of Canton, died at 2:25 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 21, 1997, at Prairie View Care Center.
Born Nov. 9, 1910, in Jerome, Iowa, to William and Elizabeth Rodgers Baxter, she married J. D. McKinney on Dec. 18, 1958, in Oklahoma. He preceded her in death, as did four brothers and seven sisters.
Surviving are one brother, Neil R. Baxter of Lewistown, and one sister, Maxine Matayo of Canton.
She owned and operated several taverns in Oklahoma for many years.
She was a member of First Presbyterian Church of Canton.
Services will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Oaks-Hines Funeral Home in Canton. The Rev. James McCracken will officiate. Visitation will be 30 minutes before services at the funeral home. Burial will be in White Chapel Memory Gardens in Canton.
Memorials may be made to Prairie View Care Center or to her church.
Friday, May 29, 2009
The Peoria Journal Star - 13 February 2004
LEWISTOWN --Neil R. Baxter, 85, of 715 W. Ave. F died at 4:25 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2004, at Graham Hospital Extended Care at Canton.
Born Dec. 9, 1917, in Jerome, Iowa, to William and Elizabeth Rodgers Baxter, he married Mary Lacefield on Jan. 5, 1969, in Bryant. She died June 24, 2000.
He also was preceded in death by one son, Russell, four brothers, eight sisters; and one great-granddaughter.
Surviving are one son, Gordon (and Judy) of Magna, Utah; one daughter, Karen Adler of Fort Myers, Fla.; one stepdaughter, Deborah (and Lee) Boege of Wildwood, Mo.; one sister, Maxine Matayo of Canton; four grandchildren; two step grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild.
A member of the United Auto Workers Local 974, he was a machinist at Caterpillar Inc. for 35 years before retiring.
A member of the Illinois Sheriffs Association, he served two terms as police magistrate in Canton from 1953 to 1957 and from 1961 to 1965 and later served as Fulton County Sheriff from 1966 to 1970.
He was a member of Lewistown United Methodist Church.
Services will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Henry-Lange Memorial Home where visitation will be from 6 to 8 tonight. The Rev. Linda Richard will officiate. Burial will be in Oak Hill Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to Prairie View Care Center of Lewistown.
The Peoria Journal Star - 26 June 2000
LEWISTOWN -- Mary E. Baxter, 71, of 17516 Fiberoptic Highway died at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, June 24, 2000, at Graham Hospital in Canton.
Born Aug. 28, 1928, in Young Hickory Township, Fulton County, to Charley and Katie Casson Dick, she married Neil R. Baxter on Jan. 5, 1969, in Bryant. He survives.
Also surviving are one daughter, Deborah Lacefield of Des Moines, Iowa; one stepson, Gordon of Magna, Utah; one stepdaughter, Sue Adler of Fort Myers, Fla.; two grandchildren; for step grandchildren; four great grandchildren; and six step great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by one stepson, Russell; one step great-grandchild; three brothers; and two sisters.
She retired from the produce department of Day & Palin IGA, where she worked for many years.
She was a member of Lewistown United Methodist Church.
Services will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at her church. The Rev. Jon Sims will officiate. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Henry Memorial Home in Lewistown. Burial will be in Oak Hill Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to her church or St. Jude Midwest Affiliate.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Roy Hanna Mills, son of Louis S. and Lora Hanna Mills, was born in Waverly, New York on November 8, 1897. While still a child, the family moved to Buffalo, New York, where Roy attended public school. After an attack of rheumatic fever had interrupted his high school work his father took him into his electrical company and taught him his trade. This was the foundation for Roy's work with the labor unions in Des Moines, where he served the local Trades and Labor Assembly as chaplain for five years. Because of this he was asked to serve on the board of the National Religion and Labor Foundation.
Some ten years experience as an electrician was terminated by a definite call to the ministry on December 10, 1922, which date was thereafter known as his spiritual birthday. In preparation he enrolled in Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, in Lima, New York, from which he was graduated in 1926. Desirous of broadening his training he came to Cornell College at Mount Vernon, Iowa, in 1927, for further study. While a student there he was appointed to serve churches at Brick Chapel, Preston, and Solon, and was admitted on trial in the Upper Iowa Conference in 1931.
After graduation from college he attended Drew University, from which he received his B.D. degree in 1935. A year later he was transferred to the Newark Conference in New Jersey, where he served pastorates at Maplewood, Westwood and Paterson. In 1952 he was transferred to the Iowa-Des Moines Conference and appointed to the Easton Place Church in Des Moines. While here he was privileged to help set up a unit of Good Will Industries, in which he had much pride and joy.
In 1943, Roy was given the degree of Doctor of Divinity by Cornell College.
On June 15, 1932, he was united in marriage to Mary Sidles, of Jerome, Iowa, who survives him, as do a son, George Louis, and a daughter, Lora Ellen. A sister, Mrs. E. E. Plummer lives in Rochester, New York.
On November 28, 1957, death came in a heart attack at the home in Des Moines. Memorial services were conducted by Dr. Howard Buxton and the Reverend Everett Dorr in the Easton Place Methodist Church. Burial was in the cemetery at Waverly, New York.
Transcribed from the Annual Report of the South Iowa Conference of the Methodist Church, page 171.
The Hutchinson News [KS] - 30 April 2008
LIBERAL -- Roberta A. "Bobbie" Hart, 80, died Sunday, April 27, 2008 at Palm Bay Memorial Hospital in Palm Bay, Fla., after a lengthy illness. She was a loving Mother, Grandmother and Great-Grandmother. Bobbie was also a beautiful, gracious lovely lady and a friend to many. She never met a stranger! She was born March 31, 1928 in Seymour, Iowa to Orville and Wilma (Buck) Bowman. She was raised by her mother Wilma and her grandmother Isabell Murphy Buck and many loving aunts and uncles in the area. At seven, she was blessed when her mother, Wilma, married Wade "Sug" Wright who became her loving and caring dad. When she was 17, she was thrilled when her little brother, John, was born. She became "Sissy Bob" to John. Bobbie was an honor student and a star basketball player. She was always disappointed that the team came up short the year she was a Senior and didn't win the Iowa State Basketball Tournament. They won the next year but without her. She graduated from Seymour High School in Seymour, Iowa in 1946.
She married Jack L. Hart on Nov. 10, 1946 in Seymour, Iowa. They lived in Seymour and owned and operated Hart Oil and Implement Col until 1964 and had three children. In 1963, they started Hart Oil Company, when they purchased a Gulf Oil business in Columbia, Mo. and moved there in 1964. Later, they started Hart Motels Inc. and Hart Land and Cattle Company. They owned several motels and ranching operations over the next 40 years. They purchased the Holiday Inn, now the Liberal Inn in Liberal, in 1972 and moved to Liberal in 1980. They sold the business in 2003 and retired. Jack preceded her in death on Sept. 19, 2005. She was a member of the American Legion Auxiliary in Seymour, Iowa; the Aurora Club and the Elks Club in Liberal.
Survivors include: one daughter Pam McElvain and her husband Kenny of Liberal; two sons David Hart and wife Nancy Liberal, and Brian Hart and fiancee Lorie Sephens of Indian Harbor Beach, Fla.; brother John Wright and wife Evelyn Waukee, Iowa; seven grandchildren that she was so proud of; Brad McElvain and wife Stacy; Christi Nowak and husband John; Jack and Andrea Hart, Bailey, Ian and Mackenzie Hart; two great grandchildren that she loved to spoil, Elliott and Alex McElvain. She only needed more time to spoil them better. Sister-in-laws, Ferne Hart Norris of Grinnell, Iowa and Ruby Hart Fry and husband Bob of Bartow, Fla., and brother-in-law Ron Hart and wife Gloria of Muscatine, Iowa. She also leaves her adopted in love brother Danny Jones and wife Nancy of San Diego, and very special cousins Virginia Warren, Tucson, Ariz., Carol Ulrey and Betty Mabee of San Diego.
She is preceded in death by her parents Wilma and Wade "Sug" Wright and one daughter-in-law, Jeanine Hart. Also her loving Aunts and Uncles, Hubert "Simon" & Esther Buck, Paul and Lucille Buck, Sister-in-law Carol Hart and her in-Laws, Pearl and Mamie Hart, adopted in love brother Bob Thomas plus many loving great aunts, uncles and cousins from the Seymour, Iowa area.
Funeral Service will be held at Randolph Funeral Home in Seymour, Iowa on Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 1:30 pm with burial immediately after at Southlawn Cemetery in Seymour. Services will be performed by Pastor Nancy Prall of the Drake Avenue Christian Church in Centerville, Iowa. A memorial service will be held on Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 3 pm at Kitch-Brenneman Funeral Home in Liberal, with Reverend Dr. Jack Russell from First Christian Church presiding. In lieu of flowers, a memorial fund has been set up to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., in care of ether funeral home or Bobbie's daughter Pam McElvain, 2480 Lilac Drive, Liberal, KS 67901 ... Email condolences may be sent to www.brennemanfuneralhome.com.
Southwest Daily Times [Liberal KS] - 21 September 2005
Jack L. Hart slipped the surley bond of Earth on September 19, 2005 at Southwest Medical Center in Liberal, Kan. at the age of 79. He was born in Seymour, Iowa on December 27, 1925 to Pearl and Mamie (Morrow) Hart. He was the third of their five children. Jack was a loving man and loved his wife and children and friends and was kind and generous to his grandchildren.
Jack grew up in Seymour, Iowa and graduated from High School there in 1943. Jack was a veteran of WWII in the Army Air Corp and was part of the occupying forces in Germany. When he returned from the service, he joined his father in Seymour Oil Co. On November 10, 1946 he married Roberta A. (Bobbie) Bowman in Seymour, Iowa. They were married almost 59 years, and they had three children.
Jack was a lifelong business man and was successful in several different fields. One of the biggest joys was getting to know and taking care of his customers. Jack was an avid flyer and had dreamed of flying since childhood. He was fortunate enough to accomplish that goal and flew for most of his life. Jack was a senior partner of the Liberal Inn from 1970 to 2003.
Jack was a member of the Liberal Elk's Lodge and the Seymour American Legion along with various business organizations in the past. Jack's best and greatest quality was his generosity and he had a true Christian heart. He was generous and would give and help others without any personal gain.
Survivors include his wife Bobbie of the home; daughter Pam McElvain and husband Kenny, son David Hart and wife Nancy, all of Liberal, Kan.; son Brian Hart of Indian Harbor Beach, Fla. Grandchildren are Brad McElvain, Christie Nowak, Jack and Andrea Hart, Bailey, Ian, and Mackenzie Hart and great grandson Elliot McElvain. He is also survived by two sisters Ferne Norris of Grinnell, Iowa and Ruby Fry and husband Bob of Bartow, Fla.; brother Ron Hart and wife Goria of Muscatine, Iowa and brother-in-law John Wright and wife Ev of Waukee, Iowa and many nieces and nephews. He is preceded in death by his parents and one sister Carole Hart Deputy.
Funeral service will be held at 1:00 p.m. Thursday at Kitch-Brenneman Funeral Home Chapel with the Rev. Randy Cook presiding. An additional service and burial will be held in Seymour, Iowa.
Calling time will be 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday with the family present to greet friends from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Kitch-Brenneman Funeral Home.
Memorials may be sent to The Liberal Elks Benevolent Fund in care of Kitch-Brenneman Funeral Home, 1212 W. 2nd, Liberal KS 67901.
Southwest Daily Times [Liberal, KS] - 13 April 2003
Wilma Wright, 92, died Thursday, April 10, 2003, at Adel Acres Care Center in Adel, Iowa.
She was born Sept. 30, 1910, to Clark and Sarah Isabell (Murphy) Buck in Putnam County, Miss. (sic).
She married Wade B. (Sug) Wright on May 22, 1935. He died in October 1963.
She was operator of Wright Hardware and John Deer Implement Store until 1969.
She was a member of Seymour American Legion Auxiliary, past member of Seymour Community Club, and Iowa Retail Hardware Association.
Her hobbies included cooking, traveling, and spending time with family and friends.
Survivors include, her children, Roberta (Bobbie) Hart and husband, Jack, Liberal, William John Wright and wife, Evelyn, Waukee, Iowa; grandchildren, Pamela McElvain and husband Kenneth, Liberal, David Hart and wife, Nancy, Liberal, and Brian Hart, Kansas City, Miss. (sic); great-grandchildren, Brad McElvain and wife Stacey, Kansas City, Christi McElvain, Topeka, Jack T. and Adrea Hart, Liberal, and Bailey, Ian, and Mackenzie Hart, Kansas City; her aunt Vina Murphy, and numerous other relatives.
She was preceded in death by her parents; two brothers, Paul Buck and wife, Lucille, and H. C. Simon Buck and wife, Esther (Het); and granddaughter-in-law, Jeanine Hart.
Funeral services will be at 1:30 p.m. Monday at Randolph Funeral Home in Seymour, Iowa, with the Pastor Vickie Steffes presiding.
Burial will be at Southlawn Cemetery in Seymour.
Friends may call beginning at 1 p.m. Sunday at Randolph Funeral Home in Seymour. The family will receive friends from 7-9:30 p.m. Sunday.
Memorials are suggested to Seymour American Legion or Hospice of Central Iowa in care of Randolph Funeral Home, 112 Lee St., Seymour, IA 52590.
The San Diego Union-Tribune [CA] - 6 April 2004
James Riley Evans -- Born March 16, 1921, in Seymour, Iowa. He joined the Navy in 1939. After war, returned home to marry Gweneth M. Hopkins, March 16, 1946. They moved to Calif. in 1948, and worked with Rohr Industries. In 1983 relocated to Hot Springs, Arks. A member of the Masonic Lodge F&AM and Al Bahr Shrine. Passed away March 17, 2004, from complications of Parkinson's. Survived by Gwen, wife of 58 years, son, Hiram Kraig Evans. Memorial service March 22, in Hot Springs, Arks. Burial Glen Abbey, Bonita.
The Kansas City Star [MO] - 8 November 1994
John Amel Condra, 91, south Kansas City, died Nov. 6, 1994, in the John Knox Village Care Center, Lee's Summit. Services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Nelson-Harris Chapel, Holdrege, Neb.; burial in Prairie Home Cemetery, Holdrege.
Mr. Condra was born in Seymour, Iowa, and lived in Holdrege before he moved to this area in 1900. He was a bookkeeper for the General Glass Co. in Holdrege, retiring in 1970. He was a member of the First Methodist Church of Holdrege. He was a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge. His wife, Minnie A. Condra, died in 1982. Survivors include a son, John F. Condra, Kansas City, and a grandson. (Local arrangements: George Grandview)
The Des Moines Register - 28 February 2007
Funeral services for Vaneta Arlene Anderson Busby McElvain, 84 years, eleven months, 19 days, will be held 10:30 a.m., Thursday, March 1, 2007, at Randolph Funeral Home, Seymour, with pastor Linda Reida officiating. Interment at the I.O.O.F. cemetery, Indianola, Iowa (2:30 p.m.). Friends may call at the Randolph Funeral Home in Seymour beginning at 1 p.m. on Wednesday. The family will greet friends Wednesday evening 6 to 8 p.m.
Memorials may be made to Seymour United Methodist Church or Donor's Choice of Hospice.
Survived by daughters, Betty Kratovil of Stuart, Florida, Barbara Wood and husband John of Elgin, Illinois; sons, Robert Busby and wife Carol of Jackson, New Jersey, Marvin Busby and wife Renee of Tulsa, OK; step-daughter Virginia Berner and husband James of Waukee, Iowa; step-sons, Kenneth McElvain and wife Pam of Liberal, Kansas, Marvin McElvain and wife Jeanie of Ames, Iowa; step-daughter Karen Vanderlinden and husband Steve of Chapel Hill, NC; step-s0n David McElvain and wife Shelly of Seymour, Iowa.
The Stuart News [FL] - 27 February 2007
Vaneta A. McElvain, 84, died Feb. 23, 2007, at her home.
She was born in Seymour, Iowa, and lived in Stuart for 2 years, coming from Iowa.
She was a homemaker.
Survivors include her daughter, Betty A. Kratovil of Stuart.
Services: Burial services will be in Indianola Cemetery, Indianola, Iowa, under the direction of Randolph Funeral Home, Seymour, Iowa.
Local arrangements are by Martin Funeral Home & Crematory, Stuart.
The San Diego Union-Tribune [CA] - 16 December 2003
Lovina Leora Clark Murphy, a resident of San Diego for the past 20 years, died December 10, 2003 at the age of 102, at Casa Palmera Care Center in Del Mar, Calif. Born April 19, 1901 in Putnam County, Missouri to Thomas Francis Clark and Utoka Williams Clark she was one of 10 children. In 1920, Vina was united in marriage to Bert Murphy of Putnam County, Missouri, who died in 1977. She lived most of her adult life in Seymour, Iowa and surrounding area.
She is survived by daughter Betty Mabee, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.; son Donald C. Murphy and wife Nadine of Yuma, Ariz.; daughter Carol Ulrey and husband Charley of San Diego, Calif. and daughter Patricia Janz of Mancos, Colo. In addition she is survived by grandsons Larry Mabee of Rancho Sante Fe, Calif., Don Murphy and wife Jeri, Grove, Okla., James Murphy and wife Wendy, Fallbrook, Calif., Don Janz and wife Melissa of Mancos, Colo.; six great-granddaughters, five great-grandsons and a host of other relatives and friends who will mourn her passing.
Visitation will be Friday, December 19, from 5-7 p.m. at the Randolph Funeral Home in Seymour, Iowa. Services at the same location on Saturday, December 20, at 10 a.m. followed by interment at Southlawn Cemetery, Seymour, Iowa. Contributions in lieu of flowers to Aseltine School, 4027 Normal Street, San Diego, CA 92013. Please sign the guest book at obituaries.uniontrib.com.
The Indianapolis Star - 26 March 2004
Marion L. McElvain, 89, of Greenwood, passed away on Wednesday, March 24, 2004. He was born March 2, 1915, in Numa, Iowa, to George L. and Carrie N. (Ferren) McElvain. Mr. McElvain retired in 1979 as a tool grinder for McQuay-Norris after 39 years of service. He was a member of University Heights Baptist Church and recently attended Church of the First Born in Martinsville, IN.
Mr. McElvain was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 63 years, Doris (Barkman) McElvain. He is survived by daughters Nancy J. Cavallero, Carol A. Piercefield; brothers Stan and Forest McElvain; five grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
Services will be private. Calling will be Sunday, March 28, 2004, 2 to 6 p.m. in G. H. Herrmann Greenwood Funeral Home, 1605 S. St. Rd. 135, Greenwood, IN. He will be laid to rest in Forest Lawn Memory Gardens. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to: Creation Magazine, Answers in Genesis, P. O. Box 6330,k Florence, KY 41022.
News Tribune - La Salle IL - 8 January 2008
Edna Frogge, 93, of 424 Prairie St., Spring Valley died at 12:55 p.m. Dec. 21, 2007, in Spring Valley Nursing Center.
Services will be at 1:30 p.m. Sunday in First Congregational Church of Peru. The Rev. Roger Ruhman will officiate. Burial will be at Numa Cemetery, Numa, Iowa.
Arrangements are through Barto Funeral Home, Spring Valley.
Mrs. Frogge was born June 23, 1914, in Numa to John and Elizabeth (Chumbley) Hagethorn. She married Howard Frogge on Sept. 17, 1933, in Lancaster, Mo.
She was a member of First Congregational Church of Peru, Amaranth chapter 290 Order of the Eastern Star and St. Margaret's Hospital Auxiliary.
Survivors include one brother, Howard Hagethorn of Washington state; and nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband on Nov. 10, 1988; and two brothers.
Memorials may be directed to First Congregational Church or Numa Cemetery Associaton.
San Antonio Express-News [TX] - 31 January 2007
Calvin Marion Inman, born July 25, 1924 in Numa, Iowa, passed away January 27, 2007 in San Antonio, Texas.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Miles and Cleo Inman, and two sisters, Agnes Semroska and Margaret Johnson. He is survived by his wife, Mary Hollan Inman; also three nieces and four nephews and their spouses: Milesa and Sam Quraini, Brenda and Lynn Davis, Jana and John Eng, Dan and Mary Johnson, Roger and Kitty Johnson, Brad and Brenda Johnson, Jeff and Connie Johnson; seventeen great-nieces and nephews; several cousins, and many dear friends.
At an early age Cal moved with his parents to Ardmore, South Dakota where he grew up and graduated from high school with the Class of 1942. His college education at South Dakota Stte was interrupted by World War II. He served for almost three years in the South Pacific and occupation of Japan with the 24th Division, 13th Field Artillery. After his discharge, he returned to college and received his BA degree with the Class of 1950.
Later that spring he headed for Texas. His first job was with Gonzales Warm Springs Foundation. He also worked a number of years for National Life and Accident Insurance Company before beginning the teaching career he loved. He taught journalism and was sponsor of the school yearbook and newspaper at Holmes High School in the Northside ISD for 21 years. Cal and Mary Loved to travel and were able to visit most of the places in the world they wanted to see. They build a cabin in the Black Hills of South Dakota near Mt. Rushmore and spent at least a part of every summer there.
A memorial service will be held at Mission Park North Chapel - 3401 Cherry Ridge in San Antonio on Thursday, February 1, 2007 at 3:00 PM. Another service will be held at McColley Chapel of the Hills in Hot Springs, South Dakota on Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 11:00 AM. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Cal's favorite charity, The Smile Train, at 245 Fifth Ave. Suite 2201, New York, NY 10016 (www.SmileTrain.org) or to the charity of your choice. You may sign the on-line guest book at www.missionparks.com under the obituary section. Mission Park Funeral Chapels North.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Ad-Express/Iowegian - 24 February 1994
Merrill Condra, 84, life-long resident of Numa died Feb. 23, 1994, at the Seymour Care Center.
He was born July 5, 1909, in Numa, the son of Elmer and Ettie (Sidles) Condra.
He married Jeanette Morris Dec. 4, 1936, in Unionville, Mo. She preceded him in death Dec. 25, 1980.
Survivors include a son, James, and his wife, Anne, of Springfield, Ill.; a grandson; two great-grandchildren; a sister, Louise Hunt of Centerville; and a niece.
He was preceded in death by his parents and his wife.
He graduated from Numa High School and the Centerville Junior College. He then attended Iowa State College in Ames, completing an automotive course. He attended the Chillicothe School of Business in Chillicothe, Mo. He then opened the Condra Garage on the home place west of Numa. He remained in business there for more than 60 years. He was a member of the Jerome Methodist Church, the Appanoose County Historical Society, the Genealogy Association and the Iowa-Missouri Gas Engine Club.
Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 26, at the Lange Funeral Home with the Rev. Louis Flanigan and the Rev. Jim Schweizer officiating. Interment will be in Jerome Cemetery. A visitation will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.
A memorial has been established in the Jerome Cemetery and may be left at the funeral home.
Numa Column by Ethel Lira
Once again, this has been a week of good-byes to old friends and neighbors. Merrill Condra, 84, long-time Numa community resident, died after a lengthy illness at the local hospital. Although Merrill long operated a country type garage at his homestead on the Seymour Highway west of Numa, few were aware of his educational background in this craft.
His garage was always open, it seemed, to the locals who needed a tune-up to a complete overhaul of their gasoline powered vehicles. Merrill seemed to fix things by the sound as well as the touch and could be counted upon to have them running in a short period so that no work days would be lost because of the lack of an operating vehicle.
His wife, the former Jeannette Morris, died suddenly in 1980 while on a family Christmas outing and then a few years thereafter Merrill suffered severe medical problems during the Christmas holidays that kept him hospitalized for a period. However, it was just the past several months that he had been incapacitated to the extent he was unable to care for himself and his daily routine.
He is survived by a son, James, and his family as well as his sister, Louise Hunt, of Centerville. Merrill's spot in the minds and hearts of his Numa-Seymour neighbors will long remain vacant. To his family we say, "He will be greatly missed and we all care."
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Ad-Express/Iowegian Progress Edition
25 February 1994
Big 4 Railroad Mine Turned Jerome
into Growing, Lively Town in Late 1800s
by Mildred Cathcart, Correspondent
Before the end of the nineteenth century many families were moving into the Jerome area, many settling on farms that had been land grants from the government for war time services. The street past the Methodist Church was named Main Street because the things important to the settlers were in that west portion of the town. Along with the church was a log cabin school and a cemetery on land purchased from Mr. Stoner. Later the cemetery was enlarged with a land purchase from Benjamin Sedgwick.
The post office was in the Wilson home and since there was no railroad at that time, there was not much mail. It is said that Mr. Wilson had a drawer in a chest of drawers and it served as the "post office." When mail arrived, recipients of news gladly shared it with the willing listeners. That was the early town.
In 1886 the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad line was laid through Jerome. Following that a company sunk the Big 4 railroad mine along the tracks just east of the Jerome north road. So, in the beginning of the twentieth century, Jerome changed from a quiet rural area into a growing, thriving, lively town.
Families began moving in from surrounding areas, from eastern states and from various foreign countries. One could almost conduct a geography lesson from the names of the new residents. Many of the descendants from these families are still represented in our locality.
Italians - Massa, Goffee, Ponsetto, Cassassa, Noble
Croations - Yonavich, Starcevich, Blozevich, Buyan
Polish - Vruble, Matelski, Rotisky, Vizer
Russian - John Stefano
Scottish - Ross, Allan, Cathcart, Gillespie, Hunter
English - Hardy
Irish - Dooley
Many of the men who came to seek employment in the Big 4 Mine sponsored other miners from their homelands. One such family came from Scotland but when the man arrived with his wife and child, he was very ill and his sponsor refused to help him. My grandfather, Frank Dooley, with his eight children to support, took them in. Grandma had raised chickens and there was a big garden and a cow. The man could scarcely eat so Grandma made him egg nogs and as much nourishing food as possible.
In spite of all the care, the man died of what was thought to be tuberculosis. The miners took up a collection for a funeral but he was buried in the Potter's field. Later money was raised to send the wife and small daughter back to Scotland.
During all the years the mine was in operation, the lives of the miners and their families was almost controlled by the mine's shrill whistle. An early morning whistle awakened any who might have rolled over and gone back to sleep after their alarm clock was shut off. Another whistle announced starting time for the day's work. A noon day whistle announced it was time for miners to have lunch. (That was the whistle the school kids loved to hear.) A three o'clock whistle announced that the eight hour shift had ended.
Smoke began pouring from the chimneys as wives tossed on more coal and began the evening meal for men and children. It was an eerie feeling if the whistle awakened sleeping people at night. It could announce a fire or the approaching of a bad storm. The whistle could be announcing good news, too, like the day word was received that World War I had ended. Also, the whistle was sounded at year's end to welcome in the new year.
The town grew so rapidly that new houses could not be completed fast enough. Two boarding houses helped that problem. Until a man could find housing for his family, he might board in town as transportation was not often available. Too, a husband might come to find work and make enough money to send to the "Old Country" for his family. They, too, found rooms at the boarding house. It was no easy task for the proprietors to pack dinner buckets each day.
The Big 4 Company built company houses to provide shelter and the Big 4 store to furnish food and many other provisions for the miners. If illness or some other misfortune drained the miners' finances, credit could be obtained at the company store. Sometimes the first few paychecks would go to pay off a debt at the store.
Most of the families were fairly independent as far as food was concerned with only a few staples having to be purchased. Almost all families raised chickens and most often a cow for milk and butter and pigs for butchering. Large gardens, orchards and vineyards supplied most of the food. Housewives canned hundreds of quarts of fruit and vegetables for winter use, cured and cold packed meat and had jars of jelly and pickles. Families did not have luxuries but they had food, shelter and clothes that were for warmth - not for the latest style. If the children were poor, they did not realize it.
Quite often many of the grapes found their way into wine jugs. One man made a batch of wine, then threw all the pulp out for his pigs. Of course, the pigs found the treat delectable - and intoxicating. They ran around so wild that the poor man had to be late for work, afraid to leave the animals for fear they would burst out of their pen.
The store hired a driver with a team of mules and would deliver groceries around town. Hundred pound bags of flour and a few other items were too heavy to be carried home.
Later other stores, which we will discuss later, began operating and stayed open on Saturday nights. The hitching posts were filled as farm ladies came to town, often bring fresh eggs and home churned butter. A couple Norris ladies brought fresh vegetables, too. The whole family went to town, not only to shop, but to visit. The kids saved pennies all week because huge barrel packed with ice had a freezer full of ice cream. It was a momentous decision - should the five pennies buy a cone, some candy or a bottle of pop. There was money for only one.
To see how fast the new town was growing at the beginning of the 1900's, it might be enlightening to take an imaginary tour of a couple blocks of Jerome. As one approaches the town from the north road, the big mine looms large just east down the railroad tracks. A few new homes and several company houses are built close to the railroad crossing.
Not too far distant from the crossing is a fine depot with the name JEROME in large bold letters. The town had been named for a blind boy that the citizens admired. The depot is a two story structure so the depot agent and his family have comfortable quarters upstairs.
Back east down the crossing are the stockyards. When farmers on horseback drove the cattle to the stockyards, the kids knew it was dangerous and far more exciting than the big western cattle drives. One always headed straight for any nearby house to avoid being trampled by the big animals.
As one crossed the tracks, still going south, one could see a lumber yard on the west side of the road. It was a thriving business with the many homes being built as quickly as possible. Just across the road to the east was Clyde Dooley's blacksmith shop.
Still proceeding south, one could see more buildings on the west side of the road. There was a miner's hall and the Big 4 Coal Company's office. Also nearby was a small building where Mr. Allan had a store where it seems he sold mostly "treat
s." It is said among other things he sold popcorn, candy and doughnuts.
Now one comes to the place where the north road and Grand Street intersect. On the southeast corner is the Big 4 Store managed by Mr. Gabel. Next door to the east is the big boarding house.
The Big 4 Company built this Big 4 Store
to furnish groceries and other items for the miners.
If the miners met with hardships,
credit was available at the store.
Now just across the street to the west is the old Methodist Church building that was sold when the new church was erected. This building functioned as an ice cream parlor, store, post office and is now housing the road equipment of the Appanoose County Road Maintenance Department.
The old Methodist Church building around 1950 housed
the Hawkins General Store and the post office.
Just north across the street from the ice cream parlor, a band stand was built which could serve many purposes.
The bandstand in the center of Jerome around 1950.
Going up Grand Street to the west was a post office and also a very fine brick grocery store. It was built by Mr. Frogge and occupied when he moved his store from the downstairs of the K of P Hall. Later the store was purchased and operated by Herbert Warnick for many years. Next to the store was a pool hall which later burned. Next to it sitting farther back was the small home of Mr. Hardy who had a small shoe repair shop in the front of his home.
Times were getting so prosperous that across from the store, on the north side of the street, a nice brick bank was built. It failed during the depression era but depositors were fortunate to be paid 75 percent of their accounts.
Behind the bank was a very large K of P building where the Odd Fellows and the Rebekahs held meetings but allowed the upstairs to serve many public functions. Saturday night dances were popular for a number of years.
One amusing story is told of the days of prohibition. Often men brought their liquor and hid the bottles in the tall grass in a dark area near the hall. A group of enterprising young men, including my Uncle Grover Dooley, saw a way to make a little money for a bottle of pop and a candy bar. They found sand and small rock along the railroad tracks and tossing them gently into the tall grass could hear the sound when a bottle was hit. When the men came down during intermission, they could not locate their bottles. When the youths offered them for a small fee (for finding them), the men could not do other than pay for their illegal goods.
After Mr. Frogge moved his store from the bottom of the K of P Hall, the Kings opened a restaurant there and in later years, another restaurant and tavern were located there.
On the north side of Grand Street and farther to the west were a variety of businesses which at one time included a furniture store and funeral parlor, a pool hall, a hotel and a cleaning establishment. Behind one of the business places during the prohibition days was a blind tiger. It was given such a name because a person went to the back, knocked on a window which opened and a man inside heard and delivered the order, took the cash and no others were exchanged.
On the west side of the hotel was a dry cleaning establishment. Farther west was a livery stable and across on the south side of the street my grandfather, Frank Dooley, owned his small broom factory. At the corner where Grand Street curved to the south stood the Cassassa boarding house.
Thus in just a few prosperous years all these businesses sprang up. The hotel building was sold later and Frank Thomas purchased it and it was the Thomas General Store for many years and also home to the growing family.
As the population increased so did the educational and religious needs of the community. Before there was really a town, a Methodist Church had been built. The old one was sold and a nice new church was erected and with a few additions and improvements. It still serves the community today. For many years its bell called people to worship on Sunday mornings and evenings. In the east part of town a Gospel Chapel and a Catholic Church were built.
As early as 1858 a log school was build west of the cemetery. Later Mr. Hagen, a carpenter, was contacted about building a nice two-story wooden structure. For part of the pay, he was given a log structure and moved it to town where it became the kitchen of the Hawkins home. It was so well concealed that many doubted this until the Zemos tore down the home and found the log walls held together with wooden pegs instead of nails.
Pictured are teachers and students
at the Jerome school around 1915.
They are Mary Cathcart, Elsie White, Pete Sidles,
Mildred Graham, Pricilla Clark, Mr. Farrington,
Martha Sidles and Janet Gillespie.
The new two-story building was located just east of the cemetery and served the community until it burned about 1919-1920. Classes were held in churches, K of P Hall and the old boarding house until a fine new brick structure was ready. A convenient feature of this building was sliding double doors between the two east rooms making space for audiences who attended school programs and other community functions.
Unfortunately, this school, too, burned but strong, brick outer walls remained intact and could be used for the new building. This new building had some very desirable new features including indoor restrooms, a band room and a large gymnasium all downstairs. A raised stage, velvet curtains and a dressing room made it much more convenient to give programs. This building was used until reorganization when it was closed and the students were bused to Seymour or Promise City.
Beginning early, the school board added a two year high school curriculum and students from rural schools and nearby towns attended Jerome High School. Many did not go beyond these years but several completed the other two years in towns offering the four year degree. In the earlier days many of the boys completed just the eighth grade and then went to the mine to work with their fathers until they were old enough to have a place of their own. Most of the time the fathers got the paychecks and the young miners only an allowance.
Although the miners and their families worked hard, they found time for fun, too. In the summer, ponds and creeks provided places for swimming and fishing. The band stand was used almost every summer evening. There was a local band to provide a weekly concert and many revival meetings were held there. On other evenings the men congregated there to discuss the day's happening or engage in a friendly, but deadly serious game of cards. Women gathered on some front porches and the children played games until darkness drove them in.
A small circus with an elephant, trained ponies and dogs, a magician and clown and cotton candy was always a big attraction. Young men would rent a horse and buggy from the livery stable and take their girlfriends to Centerville to a carnival or circus. In winter frozen ponds and creeks made ideal skating rinks and many hills made good sledding.
There were very few automobiles but passenger trains ran from four o'clock in the morning until very late at night. Train schedules were such that one could leave from Jerome, go to Mystic and catch the Interurban to Centerville, and tend to any business - or pleasure - such as shopping. When they returned to Mystic, another train came back through Jerome. Train service also made it possible to go and return from Seymour easily.
On Saturday nights a variety of stores stayed open and after shopping, many people went to the movie. If the shows were long, one almost had to race to the station to catch the ten o'clock.
It was a big blow to the town when the Big 4 Mine, apparently worked out, shut down. Many families moved away and the men who stayed, found employment in some other mines. A number of them went to Elmira, Mo., to a big mine operating there.
Not too many years later, Ernest Dooley, Arch Hawkins, Davey Workman and Andrew Gillespie leased land from Sidleses along Walnut Creek just west of Jerome and sunk a shaft mine appropriately named The Walnut Creek Coal Co. A number of men in Jerome and surrounding areas worked there until it shut down.
On Highway 2 about eight miles west of Centerville, Wayne Arbogast and other men operated the New Gladstone Mine, and Ernest Dooley and John Cathcart sunk a slope mine called the D. C. Coal Co. These mines operated until the late '60s. The gas line went through and the highway took the land by the mines so they closed. The new Gladstone stayed open a year or two longer, making it known as the Last Pony Mine.
By then most of the miners who had stayed were getting too old to do mining and many of the young men were inducted into the army. When they returned home they chose to seek employment in the cities.
Many of the business places and many of the dwellings were razed and rebuilt elsewhere. A number of the homes were moved to new locations. A few of the oldtimers chose to stay.
Although Jerome reverted back to a rural status, memories stayed fresh and people who had lived here began inquiring about a reunion. In 1988, a committee planned a Jerome reunion to be held at the United Methodist Church on Labor Day weekend. We were all pleasantly surprised to have almost 300 guests arrive from all over the United States. They came from Florida, Virginia, New Jersey, Texas, Arizona and many states in between. It was such a wonderful day for visiting and remembering that another successful reunion was held the next year and again in 1991.
Before friends departed, many walked up past the school house to the cemetery to visit graves of friends and relatives. Many searched out the oldest grave in the cemetery. It is the grave of Willie Moore, brother of Mrs. George Wales, who lived east of Jerome for many years. Willie was buried in 1850. While the town declined, the cemetery continued to grow. It is not uncommon for early Jerome resident to request they be brought back "home" for their final resting place.
Often at the reunions, conversation would turn to the early 1900's when there was such a difference in nationalities, languages, ethnic backgrounds and religion, but somehow the people could understand their neighbors so there was always a sharing and caring bond to hold the town together.
Ad-Express/Iowegian - 4 March 1994
Cora Lou White, 98, of Castle Ridge Care Center in Minneapolis, Minn., formerly of Centerville, died Wednesday, March 2, 1994.
She was born Sept. 22, 1895, in Sioux City, the daughter of Jacob and Anna (Raines) Norris.
She married Paul White. He preceded her in death.
Survivors include a daughter, Marilyn (Mary Lou) Farquharson and husband, James William; two grandsons; and six great-grandchildren.
She was a school teacher and a homemaker.
Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday, March 5, at the Lange Funeral Home with the Rev. Tom Wright officiating. Burial will be in the Jerome Cemetery. There will be an open visitation before the service.
A memorial has been established and may be left at the funeral home.
Ad-Express/Iowegian - 24 March 1994
Olga (Buyan) Matkovich, 85, of Melcher died Wednesday, March 23, 1994, in a nursing home in Melcher.
She was born in Jerome Dec. 2, 1908, the daughter of Rudy and Catherine Buyan.
She married Albert Matkovich in Melcher. He preceded her in death.
Survivors include a son, Don Matkovich and his wife, Carolyn, of Des Moines; two daughters, Catherine Roth and her husband, Charles, of Johnston, and Mary Ann Crow and her husband, Leonard, of Melcher; seven grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
Preceding her in death were her parents; her husband; a son, James; three brothers; and two sisters.
She attended school in Jerome. She was a member of the Sacred Heart Church and the Altar and Rosary Society in Melcher.
Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 26, at the Sacred Heart Church in Melcher. There will be a rosary at 7 p.m. Friday at the Mosher Funeral Home in Melcher. There will be a visitation beginning at noon Friday until the rosary service.
Memorials may be given to the Sacret Heart Church.
The Oregonian [OR] - 5 November 2000
A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2000, in Smith Memorial Presbyterian Church for Dorothy E. Collins, who died Nov. 2 at age 68.
Mrs. Collins was born Aug. 15, 1932, in Jerome, Iowa. Her maiden name was Dooley. She moved to east Multnomah County in 1939 and graduated from Girls Polytechnic High School in 1950. She was a homemaker and a longtime member of the church.
Survivors include her brothers, David and Thomas Dooley; one grandchild. Her son, Lee. F., died in 1987. Her daughter, Elizabeth, died in infancy in 1960. Her daughter, Dorothene Collins, died in 1988.;
Private interment will be in Douglass Pioneer Cemetery in Troutdale. Arrangements are by Affordable Funeral Alternatives.
Ad-Express/Iowegian - 15 April 1994
Edward Leon Matelski, 74, of Davenport died Wednesday, April 13, 1994, at St. Luke's Hospital in Davenport.
He was born Oct. 13, 1919, in Jerome, the son of Stanley and Louise (Markoski) Matelski.
He married Betty Fry June 30, 1948, in Davenport. She survives.
Also surviving are a daughter, Marilyn Berardicurti of Orlando, Fla.; a son, Dennis Matelski of Davenport; two grandchildren; two sisters, Margaret Shaw of Chicago, Ill., and Mary Koester of Rock Island, Ill.; and two brothers, Louis and Harry Matelski of Davenport.
He was preceded in death by a brother Johnny.
He was employed by J. I. Case of Bettendorf for 31 years, retiring in 1977. He was a member of AARP, Plus 60, Local 858 UAW Retirees, former member of the American Legion, Davenport Post. He was a veteran of the U. S. Army and served in World War II.
Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday, April 16, at Weerts Funeral Home in Davenport. There will be a visitation from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m., Friday at the funeral home. Graveside services will be held in Felkner Cemetery in Centerville at 1 p.m. Monday, April 18.
A memorial has been established to C.A.S.I Adult Day Care.
Monday, May 25, 2009
The Quad-City Times [IA] - 19 June 2004
DAVENPORT -- Harry J. Matelski, 89, of Davenport, passed away on Friday, June 18, 2004, at Genesis Medical Center, West Campus. Funeral services will be 2:30 p.m. Sunday, June 20, in Runge Mortuary Chapel, Davenport.
He was born Oct. 3, 1914, in Jerome, Iowa, the son of Stanley and Louise (Markuski) Matelski. He lived in the Davenport, Iowa, area for 53 years.
He is survived by daughters and sons-in-law, Joyce and Howard Koop, Aurora, Ill., Lorrie Noyes, Boise, Idaho, and B. J. and David King, Kansas City, Mo.; loving friend, Ruth Pauwels, Davenport; nine grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, sister and three brothers.
The Oregonian [OR] - 8 March 2006
A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Friday, March 10, 2006, in Williamette National Cemetery for David Gilbert Dooley, who died Feb. 27 of lung disease at age 75.
Mr. Dooley was born Jan. 18, 1931, in Jerome, Iowa, and moved to Corbett in 1939. He moved to Fairview in 1944, and graduated from Benson Polytechnic High School. He served in the Army for 24 years, including in the Korean War, and received a Purple Heart. He lived in Tacoma for about 30 years, and moved to Troutdale in 2002. In 1965, he married Melvina Jo Sims; she died in 2002.
Survivors include his daughter, Susan; son, Bruce; stepdaughter, Gay Bitz; stepson, Ralph Sims; brother, Tom, six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Arrangements by Cornerstone.
The Quad-City Times [IA] - 9 April 2006
DAVENPORT, Iowa -- There will be no services of visitation for Louise Radwick, 88, of Davenport. Internment will be at a later date at Davenport Memorial Park Cemetery. Louise M. Radwick went to be with the Lord and Savior Jesus on Friday, April 7, 2006, at Manor Care, Davenport.
Louise M. Ponsetto was born on September 22, 1917, in Jerome, Iowa, the daughter of Mike and Eleanor (Nobile) Ponsetto. She was united in marriage to Ralph (Rudy) Radwick on January 13, 1940, in Centerville, Iowa.
She was a member of Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church, Davenport.
She is survived by her husband, Ralph, of Davenport; daughter, Eleanor Blozevich, of Davenport; Rita Macdougall, of Bettendort; and son, Mike Radwick, of Davenport. She is also survived by her grandchildren, Tammy Hoffmann, of Donahue, Iowa, Cathy Gott, of Davenport, Rick Blozevich, of Bettendorf, Jamie Blozevich, of Davenport, Jeff Blozevich, of Davenport, Joe Macdougall of San Diego, Calif., Kim Noble, of Hartford, Conn., and Robb Macdougall of Davenport, and nine great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents and brothers, Pete, Leon, John and Richard Ponsetto.l
She was a loving mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.
Margaret B. Seath, daughter of Andrew and Margaret Seath, was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, May 22, 1863. After an illness of almost nine months she passed away at her home in Jerome at the age of 71 years, 10 months, and 15 days.
She was married to Andrew Gillespie June 20, 1884. In 1888 they with two small children came from Scotland to Appanoose county, where the rest of their lives were lived. Fifteen years ago this happy union was broken when the husband departed this life to be with Christ, which is far better.
Five children blessed this home. The third, a daughter, Jemima, was called to her heavenly home when 11 years of age. The remaining are: Margaret, Andrew, Janet and Anna.
Early in 1882, Mrs. Gillespie accepted the Lord Jesus as her personal Savior and passed from death unto life. Her Christian life proclaimed to all how able He is to keep those that put their trust in Him.
She is survived by four children: Mrs. Wm. Dooley of Centerville, Andrew and Mrs. Leslie Cathcart of Jerome, and Mrs. W. C. Jensen of Voorhies; seven grandchildren: Raymond Dooley of Fort Worth, Tex., Mrs. Paul Beer of Centerville, Claude, Andrew and Juanita Dooley of Centerville, Shirley Jensen of Voorhies and Dale Gillespie, who has made his home with his grandmother since a small boy; two great-grandchildren: Dick Dooley of Fort Worth, Texas, and Jimmy Beer of Centerville.
"For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with Him."
Card of Thanks
We wish to thank neighbors and friends for their kind sympathy during the illness and death of our mother and grandmother, Margaret Seath Gillespie; also for the beautiful floral offerings and other condolences.
--Mrs. and Mrs. William Dooley and Family
--Andrew Gillespie and Dale
--Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Cathcart
--Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Jensen and Shirley
Transcribed from an old newspaper clipping posted 24 January 2007 by K. Price to the Appanoose Obituaries on the IAGenWeb site. Margaret Seath Gillespie and her husband Andrew Gillespie are buried in the Jerome Cemetery, Appanoose County, Iowa.
The Seymour Herald - March 1955
In a ceremony performed Sunday, March 6, before the altar of the First Methodist Church in Centerville, Miss JoAnn McCord, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul McCord of Centerville, Route 3, was married to Ensign James Sidles, son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Sidles, also of Centerville, Route 3. The double ring ceremony was performed at 3 p.m. by Dr. G. S. Bruland, pastor of the church, and Dr. Roy Mills of Des Moines, uncle of the bridegroom, before 200 guests.
The altar was banked on either side with baskets of red snapdragons, gladioli and potted palms. Branched candelabra with while tapers also were used.
Mrs. C. E. Wygant was organist. She played the traditional nuptial music, including Wagner's "Wedding March," from Lohengrin, as processional,l and Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" as recessional. She also accompanied Janet King of Ashton who sang "I Love Thee" and "The Lord's Prayer."
Miss Zanna Lee Strandbert of Centerville was maid of honor. Bridesmaids were Miss Mary Hawkins of Davenport and Miss Joanna Hemken of Blairsburg, Iowa. Ann Streiff of Wheeling, W. Va., nice of the bridegroom, was flower girl, and Jimmie McCord, brother of the bride, was ring bearer.
Pete Sidles, Jr., of Centerville, twin brother of the bridegroom, was best man. Groomsmen were Howard Sidles of Ames, brother of the bridegroom, and Jimmy Beer, Centerville. Ushers were Bert Murphy, Jr., of Centerville and Norman Hefner of Seymour.
The bride was given in marriage by her father. Her gown, made by her grandmother, was fashioned with a tight fitting bodice of Chantilly lace, closed with tiny buttons down the back. The scoop neckline was trimmed in seed pearls, and the long sleeves formed points over the backs of the hands. The skirt was formed of layers of nylon net over taffeta, forming a train. Her veil was fingertip length and was of tulle, held in place with a tiara of seed pearls. She carried a cascade bouquet of Happiness roses, and wore a strand of pearls, a gift from the bridegroom.
Miss Strandberg wore a ballerina length gown of light blue, with which she wore a flower headdress and carried a bouquet of red snapdragons and carnations. Both bridesmaids wore ballerina length gowns of light blue fashioned with short sleeves, and also wore flowered headdresses and carried bouquets of red snapdragons and carnations.
Mrs. McCord, mother of the bride, wore navy with white accessories and a corsage of white carnations.
The bridegrooms' mother wore a grey and while printed silk dress with white accessories and a corsage of white carnations.
Preceding the ceremony, Misses Judith Broshar of Centerville and Verneice Mathew of Big Timber, Mont., lighted the candles. During the ceremony, while the bride and bridegroom knelt at the altar as "The Lord's Prayer" was being sung, Misses Broshar and Mathew, together with Misses Marjory Lull of Patterson and Janan Strandberg walked to each side of the altar with lighted tapers.
Members of the Hagan Circle of the W.S.C.S. were hostesses at the reception held in the church parlors. In charge were Mrs. Otto Felkner, Centerville, Route 3, and Mrs. Hubert Strandberg of Centerville. Mrs. K. R. Hampton of Mystic, aunt of the bride, was in charge of the guest book.
The table was covered with a white linen cloth and centered with the three-tier wedding cake, iced with light blue rosebuds, and topped with the miniature bridal couple. Silver lace ribbon and greenery were arranged around the cake and blue carnations and blue ribbons, together with tapers in silver candlesticks, completed the decorations. A white bell was suspended from the ceiling with streamers of ribbon to which carnations had been fastened. Mrs. Hubert Strandberg was in charge of the decorations.
Miss Peggy Moir of Orange City cut the cake. Mrs. Warren Streiff of Wheeling, W. Va., sister of he bridegroom, poured the coffee and Mrs. Howard Sidles of Ames, sister-in-law of the bridegroom, presided at the punch bowl. Piano music was played during the reception by Miss Judith Broshar.
For travelling, the bride wore a two piece knitted suit of light blue with tan accessories and a corsage of Happiness roses. They left after the reception for a wedding trip to the Ozarks.
Out of town guests at the wedding were from Albia, Ames, Des Moines, Davenport, Ashton, Blairsburg, Orange City, Duluth, Minn,; Montana; Wheeling, W. Va., Cherokee and Seymour.
The bride is a graduate of the Centerville high school and will be graduated from Iowa State College at Ames in June. She has majored in experimental cookery. The bridegroom was graduated from Seymour high school and from Iowa State College with a degree in agriculture engineering. Before entering the Navy, he was employed with Firestone Company in Akron, Ohio. While at Ames, he was a member of Phi Kappa Alpha social fraternity. He will report to Washington, D.C., March 21, and will go from their to Great Lakes, Ill., for a 16-week course at the Electronics Administrative School. His bride will join him there after her graduation from Ames this spring.
The Seymour Herald - 29 December 1955
Miss Mary Margaret Hawkins, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Hawkins, 191 E. 6th St., Davenport, was married to Raymond F. Doyne Jr., so of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond F. Doyne Sr. of Clinton, at 2:15 p.m. Dec. 26 in the Wayside Chapel at St. John's Methodist Church, Davenport.
The double-ring ceremony was performed by Dr. F. J. Ackman in the presence of the immediate families and close friends.
Miss Carol Lindblom, a college friend of the bride, was maid of honor. Ed Oliver of Clinton was the bridegroom's attendant.
A reception was held immediately following the ceremony at the home of the bride's parents.
The couple are students at Iowa State Teachers College, Cedar Falls. They will make their home at 2409 Iowa St. in Cedar Falls and continue their college careers.;
The bride was a 1952 graduate of Seymour high school.
Sarah E. Morrison-Kershaw, wife of the late Rev. Andrew Kershaw and daughter of Gaven and Mary Ann Morrison, was born April 11, 1854, in Clermont county, Ohio, and departed this life May 26, 1932, at the home of her youngest brother, Bert Morrison of Jerome, at the age of 78 years, 1 month and 15 days. When she was a small child she came with her parents to Iowa, the family locating near Jerome. She united with the Methodist Episcopal church at Jerome in her youth.
On Sept. 18, 1898, she was married to Rev. Andrew Kershaw and became a kind mother to his small son, Paul. From that time most of her life was spent in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming as a faithful helper of her husband, who was appointed to churches in these different states.
After many years of faithful service they retired at an old age and in 1926 moved to Seymour, Iowa, near their relatives and old friends.
She was preceded in death by her husband in 1928; she then made her home with her half brother, John Barr, and later with her sister, Mrs. Mintie Bollman, each of these also preceded her in death. The last five months was spent at the home of her youngest brother, Bert Morrison.
She is survived by a stepson, C. Paul Kershaw, and family of Streator, Ill., who were unable to be present, two brothers: William Morrison of Plano, Ia., and Bert Morrison of Jerome, and two nieces, Mrs. Mary Morrison-Jones of Ottumwa, Ia. and Mrs. Ida Morrison-Mincks of Jerome.
The funeral service was conducted by the pastor, Jas. A. Wilson, in the church in Jerome and interment was in the cemetery near by.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
The Seymour Herald - 22 September 1955
JEROME--The centennial anniversary of the Jerome Methodist church was observed Sunday, Sept. 18, with a large crowd present for the basket dinner at noon and the reception in the social room at 4 o'clock.
One hundred and eighty-four signed the register.
It is interesting to note that some of the first trustees of the Jerome church were Calvin R. Jackson, James Hagan, Peter Sidles and James M. Kinney and on this anniversary several of their direct descendants were present.
Mrs. Pherma Darrah and her daughter, Mrs. Harvey Bettis, both of Seymour, were present, Mrs. Darrah being a granddaughter and Mrs. Bettis a great-granddaughter of Calvin Jackson.
The daughter of James Hagan, Mrs. Emma Ogle, now is an invalid, but Miss Cadd Hawkins and A. F. Hawkins, both of Davenport, were grandchildren and Bill Hawkins, also of Davenport, a great-grandson, also were present.
Mrs. Effie Houx of Cedar Rapids, a niece of James Kinney, was present and Peter, George and Susie Sidles, Mrs. Ettie Condra, all members of the church at the present time, and Mrs. Mary Sidles Mills of Des Moines all were present for the centennial and are grandchildren of Peter Sidles. His great grandchildren present were Pete, Louise, Luella and Janice Sidles.
This indicated that the good work of the ancestors can be carried through many generations.
Two former ministers were present, Rev. and Mrs. H. B. Fay of Crawfordsville and Rev. and Mrs. J. E. McClellen and Paul and Karen of Humeston. Both gave helpful addresses. The rest of the program was carried out by local people.
Mrs. Paul Felkner gave a brief history of the church, mentioning the growth through the years and the latest preparatory member, Mark William Hefner, who was born Sept. 11, son of Mr. and Mrs. Norman Hefner. His name was added to the cradle roll the first week of his life.
Mrs. Gail Felkner was chairman of the committee and was assisted by others of the church in doing a good job to make it a success.
The large cake was baked by Mrs. Alfred McWilliams of Aredale, the mother of Mr.s Paul Felkner. She baked and donated the cake to the church.
Flowers were given by the Stagner and Watson floral companies in Centerville, by Mrs. Orpha Deibert of Sac City and by Clarence and Jess Young of Centerville, who mother, the late Mrs. Ollie Young, was a long-time member of the Jerome church.
Among the out-of-town people who came for the day were Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Hawkins, Mrs. W. E. Hawkins and Bill of Davenport, Mrs. Eugene McKern and Mrs. Bertha Blanie of Mystic, Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Mickey, Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Bettis, Mrs. Pherma Darrah, Mrs. Rachel Glenn, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Harold McElvain and children, Jerri Berge, all of Seymour. Then from Cincinnati were Miss Betty Cousins, Mr. and Mrs. L. A. Holbrook and from Promise City Mrs. Iris Holmes, Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Hellyer, Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Brattain and Mrs. Ada Long.
From Numa were Mr. and Mrs. Tony Grenko and Janice, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Gillispie, Mrs. Rebecca Martin and Mrs. Cecil Crouch.
Mr. and Mrs. Ray Robinson, Mrs. Ted Francisco and Mr. and Mrs. Howard Swan came from Oskaloosa, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Swan of New Sharon, Mrs. Hazel Thompson and Ann and Alice of Ottumwa, Mr. and Mrs. Bill Dudley of Moulton and from Centerville came Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Reisner, Miss Leola Rinker, Mrs. Frank Thomas, Mr. and Mrs. Charley DePuy, Mrs. Inez Fry, Mrs. Stella Hunter, Mrs. Ruth Evans, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Sexton, Mrs. Mattie Jerrard, Mrs. Maggie Anderson and Mrs. Emma McCulloch.
Also Mrs. Effie Houx of Cedar Rapids, Rev. and Mrs. Roy H. Mills of Des Moines, Mr. and Mrs. Mervin Burkett and Raymond of Des Moines, Miss Shirley Larson of Cedar Falls, Rev. and Mrs. H. F. Fay of Crawfordsville and Rev. and Mrs. J. E. McClellen and Karen and Paul of Humeston.
Letters were read from Miss Emma Ogle of Centerville, Rev. M. R. Gonzales of Barnes City and Rev. J. A. Wilson of Crown Point, Ind., and others.
Mr. and Mrs. Bert F. Murphy have received word of the birth of a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Donald Owen at Jackson, Mich. The baby's name is Paula Gayle. Mrs. Owen was the former Marilyn Murphy.
Rev. and Mrs. Roy H. Mills of Des Moines spent Sunday night with the George Sidles family and Monday with the Peter Sidles'.
Mrs. Effie Houx of Cedar Rapids is spending a few days with Miss Susie Sidles.
Jerri Berge of Seymour spent the week end with Mary Mincks.
Bert A. Murphy returned Saturday from Jackson, Mich., where he had been employed for the summer and left on Monday for Iowa City where he is a senior at the University.
Jim Condra left Wednesday for Ames where he is enrolled at Iowa State College.
W. E. Hawkins came from Davenport Monday to take Miss Cadd Hawkins to make her home there. The Frank Longs of north of town will move to the Hawkins home which they have purchased.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
The Seymour Herald - 6 January 1955
In a shipboard ceremony Thursday morning, Dec. 30, commanding officer J. L. Rothermel of the USS Competent (AM-316) presented to Don Owen Cain, son of Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Cain of Seymour, his certificate as sonarman, first class.
In his presentation speech, the commanding officer congratulated Cain for making first class rating in less than four years and expressed great pride in him for the work and study he had done.
Cain and his wife and son live at Long Beach, Calif., where his ship is based. Mrs. Cain is the former Phyllis Hawkins of Jerome.
The Seymour Herald - 30 June 1955
The 33rd annual reunion of the Morlan families was held at the Webb Sales Pavilion east of Corydon Sunday, June 26, with 56 present.
The noon dinner was served to Mr. and Mrs. L. L. Butler, Mrs. Belinda Willis, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Darrah, E. A. Van Benthusen, all of Corydon, Mr. and Mrs. Everett Morlan and Sara and Linda, Mr. and Mrs. Will Elam, Mr. and Mrs. Laten Atwell, Mr. and Mrs. Emmons Atwell and Lorene and Florence, all of Plano.
Also Cecil Stephens of Chariton, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Baughman and Barbara and Michael and L. L. Morlan of Indianola, Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Hiatt, Mrs. Mae Robertson and Lona, Mr. and Mrs. Steve Morlan, Mr. and Mrs. G. B. Elgin of Centerville, Ed Jeffries, Mr. and Mrs. Allen Dixon and Emma, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Smith and Gregory, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Thompson and Carla, Marilyn and Gary, all of Promise City, Tommy Demry, Mr. and Mrs. Steve Van Benthusen, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Dixon, Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Robison, Mr. and Mrs. C. V. Webb and Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Jeffries and Jay of Corydon.
The History of Appanoose County, Iowa
[Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1878, pages 615-616]
Thomas Owen, farmer and stock dealer, Sec. 5; P. O. Seymour; born in Putnam Co., Ind., 1839, where his father died in 1853; with his mother, he came to McLean Co., Ill., where he engaged in farming; in 1859, came to this county, first settling in Independence Tp., where he purchased land, and engaged in farming. On Jan. 30,l 1862, he married Miss Mary A. Morlan; she was born in Putnam Co., Ind., Sept. 30, 1840; daughter of Henry and Melinda M.; from Putnam Co., Ind., in 1851; have six children -- William H., born in 1862; John M., born in 1864; E., born in 1867; Elvin, born in 1871; Samuel J., born in 1874, and Mary C., born in Mary 1878. Democrat. Has held school offices; Director and President.
Past and Present of Appanoose County, Iowa
[Chicago: The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1913]
Volume I, page 397.
Thomas Owen settled in this township [Independence] in 1857, coming from Illinois. He purchased land and at once commenced farming. In 1862 Mr. Owen married Mary A. Moreland [Morlan], daughter of Henry and Melinda Moreland, old settlers of the county, coming from Indiana in 1851. Mr. Owen later removed to Lincoln township.