Sunday, May 10, 2009

JEROME by Susie Sidles - 19 February 1953

  Mrs. Elgin kept school for the upper grades Saturday to make up time she lost because of the death of her father-in-law.
  Mr. and Mrs. Billy Mincks of Cedar Falls spent the week end at the Charley McGavran home. Sunday Mr. and Mrs. Frank D. Jones and son, Frankie, of Des Moines attended church here and spent the day with the McGavrans.
  Mr. and Mrs. Darl Long of North Bend spent Sunday at the parental J. G. Morris home.
  Revival meetings are being held at Plano Methodist church the next 10 days. The Jerome people are invited to attend in a group Wednesday evening. The evangelists are the Rev. and Mrs. Vernon Goff, formerly of Numa. Their home is a trailer house which they will occupy while in Plano.
  Mr. and Mrs. Manford Moore of Gibson spent Sunday at the Marshall Moore home. They were former teachers here. Friends here will be interested in knowing their son, LeRoy, will be graduated from Garrett Biblical school in June and will be ordained an elder in the Methodist church at the next conference. He expects to preach in Iowa.
  Miss Fern Green of Ottumwa was a week end guest of Miss Mary Lou Morris.
  There were 18 present at the Valentine tea held by the W.S.C.S. Thursday afternoon. The program was music and games in charge of Miss Marvelle McElvain. Very nice refreshments were served by Mrs. J. W. Workman, Mrs. John Ponsetto and Mrs. I. E. Fry.
  Mrs. Lyda Bollman returned Sunday from Des Moines where she had spent several days with her son, Clay Hickie, and family.
  Mr. and Mrs. Paul Felkner call their daughter, born Feb. 1, Joan Virginia. They were visited last Sunday by the Chester Jarnigans of Des Moines.
  The next meeting of the W.S.C.S. will be Feb. 26. The hostess will be Mrs. C. E. Ervin and Mrs. Inez Fry. Mrs. Charley McGavran will have the lesson and Mrs. Mae Manda the devotions. It will be an all day meeting with cooperative dinner.
  Mr. and Mrs. Bert Murphy returned Saturday night from a three weeks visit to San Diego, Calif., where they visited their daughters. They also visited in other western points and called on friends in Chandler and Phoenix, Ariz.
  Jacob Vruble returned from the St. Joseph's hospital in Centerville Saturday where he had been several days with pneumonia. Stanley Vruble returned to his home in Chicago after spending some time here because of his father's illness.
   Transcribed from The Seymour Herald of Thursday 19 February 1953.

No comments:

Post a Comment