Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Company B at Muzzard Prairie, Arkansas

A Summary of the Battle at Muzzard Prairie of July 27, 1864,
is on the
American Civil War website
-----------------------------------------------------------
Fort Smith, Ark., July 29, 1864.


Colonel W. R. Judson, Commanding First Brigade;
Sir--I have the honor to report to you that I was in command of company B, Sixth Kansas Cavalry on the morning of the 27th inst., when the enemy made the attack on our camp, on Muzzard Prairie, and as soon as the alarm was given that the enemy was in the prairie, which was about six o'clock, a.m., I sent immediately for the herd which had been out grazing since daylight, and was about three-fourths of a mile southwest of camp. I formed my men on the right of the camp, to protect my herd as it came in, and until it could be secured, but before the horses could be brought up, the enemy charged on us, which stampeded the herd, and left the men on foot to fight as best they could. We drove the enemy back, and as I had received no orders from the commanding officer, I ordered my men to fall back until they could form on the right of the other companies. When I had fallen back to the left of my company's parade ground, I came in speaking distance of Major Mefford, when I received orders to form my company on the right, to protect the camp. I immediately took the position assigned me, with company D on my left. We held our position, repulsing three distinct charges of the enemy. At this time I was that Major Mefford had, with companies E and H, been driven from their position on the left of the line, and had began to fall back across the prairie. I knew that I could not hold my ground much longer, with what men I had; so, without receiving orders from Major Mefford, commenced falling back toward him. As we fell back I had several men captured by the enemy that was advancing through the timber in the center of our camp. We fought and retreated in good order, until we came within half a mile of the house on the prairie, when the enemy closed in on all sides, taking many more of our men prisoners. Those that were left, continued fighting and falling back to the house. There the men that were left were overpowered and captured. Before we reached the house I received a slight wound in the right thigh. Some of my men who were first captured made their escape by hiding in the thick brush, the enemy not staying to hunt for stragglers, but left immediately after the men at the house were captured, taking with them all the men that could travel. All did well under the circumstances--it being a surprise after driving in the pickets, the enemy was in our camp. I lost in the engagement three (3)killed, two (2) mortally wounded, five (5) severely wounded, and forty (40) men taken prisoners.

JACOB MOREHEAD, First Lieut.
Sixth Kansas Cavalry, Volunteers, Commanding Company B
---------------------------------------------

REPORT OF KILLED, WOUNDED AND CAPTURED
IN COMPANY B, SIXTH KANSAS CAVALRY
ON JULY 27TH, 1864, AT MUZZARD PRAIRIE, ARKANSAS.

*Jacob Morehead, First Lieutenant company B, severely wounded.
*
Thos. McCauley, Corporal, company B, killed.
Antoine Furtmire, private, company B, slightly wounded.
*
Marion Hinton, private, company B, severely wounded.
Edwin Jackson, private, company B, severely wounded
*
David P. McDonald, private company B, slightly wounded.
*
John G. Parker, private, company B, killed.
Edwin Parker, private, company B, slightly wounded.
*
George W. Rinker, private, company B, mortally wounded.
*
Joshua B. Zents, private, company B, killed. 
Forty enlisted men in Company B were captured.
*Were volunteers from Appanoose County, Iowa.

From the History of the Sixth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry on the website of the the
Museum of the Kansas National Guard.   A Complete Roster of Company B.

1 comment:

  1. That would be Calvin Jackson that was wounded not Edwin. I have his Civil war papers to show this and am a member of the DUVCW under his name.
    He is my ggg-gf.

    ReplyDelete