Friday, February 20, 2009
One of the Good Towns Which Make Appanoose a Good County -- Part II
The Centerville Iowegian - Friday, April 9, 1915
Has Thriving Mining Industry
Has Been Considerable Growth in Coal Product
and in Number of Residents Recently
In Good Farming Section
The Believers have an organization here of almost 30 members. They have a nice gospel hall where they meet for worship every Sunday morning. They have a nice Sunday school with a membership of 75. Clyde Dooley being their superintendent. They have been holding meetings here lately, a Mr. O'Brien of Duluth, Minn., doing the preaching. He was also at Numa eight weeks and is now at Seymour. Much good is being accomplished by these gospel meetings.
The Methodist Episcopal church has a membership of something over 90 members and is in a prosperous condition. They have a nice house of worship which was built a few years ago with a seating capacity of 250. They have an extra good Sunday school under the leadership of Harry Starks, the average attendance being between 80 and 90. The Epworth League has been doing nicely and it has the record of being one of the best in this district.
The services are alternate with Plano. The present pastor is Rev. Geo. L. Roper. The trustees of the church are the following: Harry Starks, Joe Barton, Lewis Norris, Mrs. Pendergast, Bert Morrison and Mrs. Henry Starks, Secy and Treas; Stewards, Miss Susie Sidles, Joe Barton, Lewis Norris, Mrs. Pendergast, Mrs. Henry Starks and Mrs. Wm. Hefner; Class Reader, Mrs. John Masters.
Jerome has a good band which is composed of 15 members and was organized last spring under the leadership of Prof. J. B. Taylor of Centerville. By the time of the open air concert season they were able to give a concert every Saturday night and in appreciation of their ability, the town and community at large erected the boys a band stand of which they were very proud. This spring the b and will be under the supervision of Prof. Smith of Mystic and they will again give concerts every Saturday night when the season opens up. The band played last fall at the dedication of the Plano school building and was high appreciated, and they were royally entertained.
Harkes Coal Co.
The Harkes Coal Co. has been doing a good business the past year. Since buying the Big Four Coal Co. mine they have made some extensive improvements in the way of remodeling the tipple, putting in new boilers and an engine to hoist dirt on the elevated dirt track. They give employment to about 150 men during the year and paid out to the miners in Jerome last year over $85,000. The largest pay at any one time was $5,000. They loaded the past season 1260 cars of railroad coal and 60 cars of commercial. They have over 600 acres of coal land leased and will soon begin the work of sinking their mine east of town which will be a circular shaft 13 feet in diameter. The new mine that the company will sink is located on the Burns farm. It will be equipped with a steel tipple, self dumper, shaker screens and box car loader.
The side track is already in and the sinking of the mine will be begun as soon as possible. Everything to equip the mine is already on the ground such as boilers, engine, material to erect tipple, etc. This mine when completed will be one of the best in the state and will be the first circular shaft in the state. They also have a large reservoir with plenty of water which they use for their mine in Jerome which is pumped from the pond. The present of the company is Wm. Harkes of Kansas City, Mo; Robert Hunter, Vice Pres. Secy and Treas; Mine foreman, Andrew Gillispie; Weigh boss, David Loofborrow; Engineer, Louis McKern and James Hunter, bookkeeper.
The Big Four Supply Co. is one of the important business enterprises in Jerome. F. R. Gable is Secy and Manager and has been here for seven years. They carry a $5,000 stock of goods and their business amounted to something over $18,000 the past season. The company owns the building 20x80 two stories, and a ware house 14x20. They handle a general line of merchandise consisting of groceries, dry goods, shoes, hardware, and run a meat market in connection. They pay the highest price for produce of all kinds that the market will afford. Their motto is a square deal and one price for all. Mr. Gable is one of the enterprising citizens and is also president of the school board. He is assisted in the story by Wesley Workman and B. F. Sedwick as sales men. Watch for the Big Four ad in this issue.
Frank Thomas runs a general merchandise store. He has been a resident of Jerome 10 years and has been in the mercantile business for six years. His store is called the Thomas Cash Store and that is the name it goes by. He carries a $2,500 stock and his business the past season has amounted to $9,000 or better. His line consists of groceries, notions, fqueenswear, wall paper, paint, and builders hardware and his wife has a splendid line of millinery goods which she looks after. He owns the building which he occupies 24x12, two stories and an addition is built on the rear 14x28 which they use for a dwellinjg, also the upstairs is used for the same purpose. Mr. Thomas has made some necessary improvements in his store in the way of new shelves and counters which adds greatly to the appearance of the store. Frank is one of those fellows that believes in living and let live. Read his big ad which appears in this issue.
C. Dooley has a blacksmith shop and repair shop in a building 20.24 which he owns. He has been having a good business and has added farm machinery to his line, the International and Moline machinery. He has been in business here for two years. He does all kinds of auto repair work on short notice. Look up his ad in this issue.
The Hawkeye Lumber Co. has been doing business here in Jerome for a number of years and has been under the management of B. I. Lewis since March 1, 1914. Before coming here he was manager of the yard at Plano. They have made some necessary improvements in the way of building new sheds, etc. They have a nice office building, lime and cement house. They handle everything in the building line and can furnish everything from foundation up. They have a complete line of builders hardware, paints, lead and oil. They have one of the best yards in this section of the county. Mr. Lewis is a rustler in the lumber business and looks well after the interests of the company. He built a modern cottage last fall 26x26 bungalow in style. Watch for their big ad in this issue of the Iowegian.
The amount of business transacted from the Milwaukee depot during the year of 1915, amount of cars received during the year: Cattle 2, hogs 1, corn 4, potatoes 2, flour 4, sand 6, brick 1, plaster 1, cement 4, wire 1, lumber 9, shingles 2, coal 3, ties 4, boilers 3, machinery 3, engines 1, rails 6, household goods 1 and miscellaneous 14. The amount of cars forwarded: Cattle 12, hogs 18, sheep 2, oats 2, wheat 2, hay 24, straw 2, entegrants 3, household goods 2, commercial coal 60 and railroad coal 1236. This is a very good showing for a town the size of Jerome.
H. Warnick & Son, who bought out E. M. Frogge & Co. about the first of February, are having a splendid business. Mr. Warnick is an experienced merchant, having been in the mercantile business at Hartford, Mo. for 14 years. The Frogge Co. had a splendid business here and Mr. Warnich aims to keep it up to the standard. They carry a stock of $6,000 and the business is now on the $18,000 per year. Since buying this store they have added over $1,500 to the stock of new and up-to-date goods. They have a complete line of staple and fancy groceries, dry goods, shoes, and notions. They occupy the K. of P. hall 30x60 which is well filled with the best of goods that money will buy. He is assisted in the store by his wife who has charge of the dry goods department. This is one of the cleanest stock of goods we have seen for a long time. Mr. Warnick is a rustler in the business and aims to give the people of Jerome and vicinity the best of goods that money will buy. Be sure and see him as he will do you good. Look for their big ad in this issue.
The town has two good barbers who look after than part of the business, in the persons of H. W. Stevenson and J. W. Carson. They are both well experienced workmen.
John White is their efficient postmaster assisted by his daughter, Mrs. Pinches as assistant. He took charge of the office the first of the year. The office gives good service to its patrons and now receives morning mail off the passenger going east which makes the Iowegian arrive in the morning instead of at noon.
Wm. Hardy Sr. runs a shoe repair shop and he has been in business here for three years. He owns the building he occupies 18x24.
The city restaurant is run by Mike Demaria, where you can get all kind of cold drinks, ice cream in season, hot and cold lunches at all hours.
Thomas Allen runs the pool hall and carries a line of confectionery goods in connection.
The Knights of Pythias have a good lodge here. They have a membership of 65 and own their own building, which is 30x60 two stories the lower story is occupied by Warnick & Son general merchandise. Ach Hawkins, C. C; Wm. Allen, V. C; Joe Bilek, Prelate; D. E. Fry, Mof. W; Frank McKim, K of R and S; Ben Crooks, Mof. E; C. Howe, M. of Ex; Robt. Fisher, Mol. A; Matt Starvich, I. G; James Graham, O. G; Trustees, J. C. Graham, H. O. Hoover and J. F. Dooley.
The Pythian Sister have a good lodge. The officers are as following: Mrs. Stella Felkner, P.C; Mrs. Mabel Crooks, M. E; Mrs. Maggie Anderson, Mgr; Miss Lucyh Haver, Junior; Lexie Howe, Senior; Mrs. Maggie Graham, M. of R. and C; Kathryn Hawkins, M. of F; Mrs. Louis Mulvina, Guar; Mrs. Jennie Fry, Protector. THey have a membership of 38 in good standing.
Local union No. 387 U. M. W. of A. has a membership of 145. THey own their hall 20x40 and meet Tuesday after each pay day. Wm. Herron is Pres; J. C. Graham, Vice Pres; Frank McKim, Rec. Secy; Tom Cathcart, Fin Secy; Wm. Hefner, Treas; Board of Trustees, Alva Campbell and William Oughton.
The town is pretty well represented in the carpenter line as there are six number one carpenters in the town: D. D. Wilson, S. Burns, Elvin, Elmer and Tillman Wales, who look after this part of the business.
Jerome has made some improvements in the past year, Elvin and Elmer are now building two good bungalows 28x28 which gthey will occupy as soon as finished.
Jerome has a new enteprise in the way of a broom factory which is run by J. F. Dooley. He had made over 2000 brooms this winter and has a good sale for them.
Jerome also has a good feed mill located near the Dooley blacksmith shop which is run by Pete Wilson. He does all kinds of feed grinding.
Jake Vercille built a new house last summer, 26x26 which is a modern little home.
Jacob Ruple finished a new home last summer, 28x28. Alta Huston a new residence 28x28. Quinto AGrinko built a house 16x24. Bud Fry built an addition to his house 16x16 story and a half. C. C. Bollman built a new addition to his house 16x24, also put in furnace and built bath room. This is one of the best home in Jerome. John Yanich remodeled his residence and put in a new foundation. Clarence Howe build a new garage. D. D. Wilson completed a story and a half house 30x30 with basement.
Jerome is noted for having one of the fastest base ball teams in southern Iowa and northern Missouri. Their record for the season of 1914 was 23 won games, 8 lost games and one tied, and they boast of five men battering over 300 per cent for the entire season. They were successfully managed by J. C. Graham, a Scotchman, that understands the game. They aim to organize for the season of 1915, April 5.
David Loofbourrow owns a nice farm east of Jerome about one mile and has all of his buildings painted up nice with the roofs all painted green and has named his farm Green Top Farm. He has an artificial lake on his south 40 and a good ice house built at the water edge 16x28 and 12 feet to the square. He has the house filled with 12 inch ice, clear and solid free from snow. The Harkes Coal Co. has also built a large lake on his north 80. This lake is fully 20 feet deep of nice clear water and they erected a pumping station on the bank of this lake and pump water to their mine at Jerome. David has also built an ice house at his lake 26x30 and 13 feet high to the square. This house is full of 14 inch ice of the best of quality. He will furnish the people of Jerome with all the ice they need the coming season.
This article was published in The Centerville Iowegian, Friday, 9 April 1915, and is transcribed with permission. A special thanks to Gary Craver, President of the Appanoose County Genealogical Society, for bringing this article to the attention of the editor.